Sunday, May 24, 2015

Office times in Bangalore

86 days to go..

November 2014, when I was stringing through the Statement of Purpose to apply for universities, Siemens Industry Software Limited made a quick round of Internship recruitment in the college. I don’t know if it was the lack of choices or luck, I was one of them selected (which I got to know a month later. A month, at that point of time, felt like a lot of time). To get at least an internship, after interviewing with 7 companies and writing numerous first rounds felt good. 

Add to it a 3 month training program in the college to ‘groom’ me to be an intern-recruit in Siemens and weeks of straggling with the final year project and not knowing if I’ll be allowed to go ahead with the intern, there I was, in Bangalore in the first week of March. 

By that time, I had got a few admits from universities and was naturally inclined to tread the software-job without much seriousness (even otherwise, I was lazy). On the first day of the internship, after the boss walked me through the project assigned to me, I wondered how it would be to finish the project and walk away with a spring in the step. The amazement didn’t last long. I was given the task of configuring and introducing a new module into the software- a cakewalk for the techies in the office, a walk on the bed set on fire for me. When I tried to install the software, I bumped into a lot of problems with the computer throwing new cards stating ‘I simply won’t let you get along with me so quickly, dude’ every now and then. By the time I courted the software into submission and figured out that installing a piece of software with license was an ‘Achievement Unlocked’ moment, it was already a month and my team was behind the schedule like North Indian trains during winters. 

That’s when I learnt the power of connections and networking the ‘Ouch, it hurts’ way. Having stayed in office the entire day, I would still be lost for ideas. That’s when some programmers who simply didn’t find reason to go home would oblige to my SOS calls and stay around to help me make some headway. During the times when I was a few hours away from a solution for the project, the ‘Project presentations’ in the college would be rescheduled at the last moment. I would run around like a hare trying to get a train ticket back to Coimbatore and all the momentum would get washed away.

My team reached a dead end at the end of the first month, the half way stage. That’s when we decided to abandon the sinking ship and take a different route. Within 2 weeks, we had one module of the project up and running, thanks to the gracious amounts of help from our mentor and the innumerable trips to the pantry to refill the hot-chocolate cups. I spent a few nights in the office too, pushing myself home after sunrise and catching up on long lost sleep. The software-bull was well and truly tamed by then. 

The last two weeks were spent making mad runs between Coimbatore and Bangalore trying to douse the fire in the final year project and the Internship project. By the time the third review in the company- a conference call review with 16 people on the phone and my PC shared across cities- was over, the college project was over too. When the fire was doused and the haze surrounding it cleared, I had no doubt that I learned a lot in terms of work ethics, what I should do (from others) and what I shouldn’t do (from me) and having ‘that’ corporate air. And the people in charge of the pantry had learnt their lessons too- stacking up a lot more sachets of Hot Chocolate and Lemon Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment